Friday, January 07, 2011

Quash's Top 5 of 2010

2010 is one of the best years of gaming. Lot's of amazing titles, best game reveals and new hardware that might shape the gaming world for the better. In my top 5 are game's I've personally played and finished in 2010.

5. Heavy Rain



Heavy Rain is like that new kid in school. No one knows him and they have no idea if he’s going to fit in with the rest of the bunch or if anybody will take notice. Quantic Dreams aimed big and wanted to bring gamers into something new and unique. The Result is Heavy rain.

This game is 8 to 10 hours long and I just couldn’t stop playing. The simple gameplay  may sound dull but when you actual play the game and get into those intense  quick time events of pressing a series of buttons and motions you get a sense of satisfaction when you succeed. This kind of formula wouldn’t have worked if the story wasn’t engaging enough to keep you playing but heavy rain’s story made it work.

If you are PS3 owners, it’s one of these exclusives you just try out. Be it renting it or borrowing it from a friend. It’s worth your time to experience and it’s for any gamer really, You just need to have an open mind when getting into it. It was an experiment seeing if gamers would get hooked in what they call Heavy Rain an Interactive drama and it was a huge success. I don’t think we’ll be seeing another game like this in a few years but at least now developers know it can work.

4. Starcraft 2


What I enjoyed about Starcraft 2 the most is the fact that it’s just too damn familiar with the first. A nine year gap between the first and the sequel, Blizzard was able to implement improvements to the game without ruining the concept of why we love StarCraft. Of course multiplayer is back and it’s freaking addicting.

The new battlenet system they have implemented makes things easier and smooth for competitive play. Each race felt balanced that as you progress in the ladder you experience different strategies and styles of play keeping it rich and constantly evolving. I really enjoyed the fact that when you head to the custom maps, you actually see those tower defense games and whatnot present in starcraft 2. Custom map games have always been my favorite in Blizzard games. Just like the first game, StarCraft 2 will be around for years to come.

3. Super Street Fighter 4


Well everything you like about Street Fighter 4 is still there with improvements and new Characters to master. Super Street Fighter 4 is pretty much the 2.0 of the Street Fighter 4 version released in 2009. I was really excited about this game release because I was addicted to Street Fighter 4 and was playing it constantly with my buddies.

The core gameplay mechanics from afar has the same Street Fighter feel. At the same time you have the option to go deeper in the gameplay by learning these crazy combos done with the new Focus attack feature that helps link combos and strings for maximum damage. It took me awhile to learn the Street Fighter way because coming from Tekken, Street Fighter gameplay mechanics are so much faster. FADC to ultra ftw!

2. Red Dead Redemption



What I think is Rock star’s Best work, Red Dead redemption is the first western game that made it work. Pretty much everything you know about cowboys and the Wild West is in this game. This sandbox game feels alive with events seen on the road like a damsel in distress or a bunch or thieves trying to steal your horse.

When I play sandbox Titles, as I progress I usually end up messing around killing people and stealing stuff and feel the freedom then just forget the storyline and objectives altogether. With Red Dead, it felt different doing some silly stuff but still itching to know what happens next in the story. It’s a great game and you should definitely check it out if you haven’t.  Oh did I mention there’s a Downloadable Content for zombies!?

1.  Mass Effect 2



I still remember back in the day when I stole my friends Xbox 360 just to play Mass Effect and loving every minute of it. Mass Effect 2 came out, I got the PC version and just 5 hours in I already knew what my best game would be. Mass effect 2 just sucks you in, and the RPG style elements are perfectly blended with the sci-fi gun battles in the game.

Characters are amazing, and those important choices leave you in a position to just pause and really think about it. I still remember the epic ending when you finish the game leaving goosebumps. Get blown away by Mass Effect 2 and prepare for Mass Effect 3 coming next holiday.

Well that's my Top 5 games of 2010. 2011 has begun and i have a feeling this year will be just as big as last year. Comment and tell us your Top 5 of 2010.

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...